Monday 8 March 2010

Four Tet - 'There is Love in You' (2010)


1. Angel Echoes
2. Love Cry
3. Circling
4. Pablo's Heart
5. Sing
6. The Unfolds
7. Reversing
8. Plastic People
9. She Just Likes to Fight

With the recent change in weather and spring in the air ive been able to shake off those winter cobwebs and take to walking places a lot more. When listening to new music I always find it best on a trek, whether it to work, uni or any other place my mood is often dictated by what im listening too, im sure its the same for other people, who knows how the battle of Waterloo may have worked out if the French Legion had Ministry of Sound Tall Paul mix in their ears, we could all be Francophiles by now. Anyway with the sun on my back ive been able to get my way round Four Tet's 'There is Love in You' and I must admit I couldn't have picked a better album to crack into the plus temperatures with.

Before listening to the album I did a bit of research to see what I was letting myself in for and I was happy to discover that Four Tet has recently collaborated with Burial, one of my favourite Dubsteppers from the last few years so I prepped myself to see if There is Love could come up to the standard as Untrue, a very hard task indeed granted this was his fifth studio effort.

First up 'Angel Echoes' which as the title suggests is a nice intro which combines an angelic voice and a nice looping beat along with chimes, a song which im sure could be used to temp sailors into rocks a la the Siren myth. After this 'Love Cry' is a 9 minute epic which comes into itself with a really good beat, somewhat reminiscent of LCD's Get Innocuous, a good track for someone attempting to run a leg in the upcoming marathon. The third and fourth are good in themselves but nothing to the substance of the others, the fourth song, 'Pablo's Heart' is only 11 seconds long, a link into the more upbeat second half. The fifth track 'Sing' is the standout song on the album, its lively and picks up the tempo just at the right time, not that im one to dismiss an album on the basis of the first few songs but it made me turn the dial on the pod just up a bit more. On 'Plastic People' I can see the Burial influence as it is the perfect Dubstep song with claps, more chimes and the underlying bass, don't take my word for it listen to it and you'll see what I mean. Lastly 'She Likes to Fight' and im assuming its post fight is the best way to end the album, slow, melodic and it reminds me of coming home at the end of the day and putting my feet up in front of the fire and falling asleep, perfect.

So my pre-conceptions of another Burial were wrong but im glad as a copy is never going to match the original but Tet has done something completely different, he hasn't made a Dubstep album but used simple beats with one or two additives to make a very very good album and my hat is tipped. I was very impressed by There is Love and maybe if the French army had this album in their ears all those years ago I would want to sit down, take it easy and look at the nice Belgian countryside instead.

Check out some Four Tet here: www.myspace.com/fourtetkieranhebden

No comments:

Post a Comment