Wednesday 12 May 2010

LCD Soundsystem - 'This is Happening' (2010)


1. Dance Yrself Clean
2. Drunk Girls
3. One Touch
4. All I Want
5. I Can Change
6. You Wanted a Hit
7. Pow Pow
8. Somebody's Calling Me
9. Home


The king of cowbell is back with his third, and supposedly final, studio LP 'This is Happening'. LCD Soundsystem, one man music producer slash performer James Murphy, burst onto the alternative dance scene back in 2005 with his self-titled LP, released on Murphy's own co-owned DFA Records label. Since then Murphy has been involved with many other artists, in various capacities, such as Hot Chip, !!! (chk chk chk) and early stars of the DFA Label, The Juan Maclean.

So, 'This is Happening'. Only 9 songs to carry the weight for 65 final LCD minutes. This is quite the task, but anyone who is a fan of the previous self-titled and 'Sound of Silver' albums knows exactly what they are going to be in store for.

The album opens with 'Dance Yrself Clean' (yes, that is how it is spelt). Just like 'Get Innocuous' starts on the previous LP, we are treated to a long drawn out introduction mixing some simple beats, synth and of course cowbell! When the song kicks in we get the sound we have been waiting for, and are most familiar with. Big electro beat, lots of synth and Murphy singing up his lungs. Single 'Drunk Girls' is up next, and like previous opening singles from the other LP's tends to be one of the weaker tunes from the album. A nice dancey tune very reminiscent of 'Daft Punk Is Playing At My House' but definitely, to this reviewer, the poorer side of the LCD sound. 'One Touch' brings back the feel of the first album, helped with the contributions on the track from The Juan Maclean members. Samples are a rife on this one providing a space age penetrating beat throughout. 'All I Want' is one of the best tracks from the album and seems to bring out the more indie side to LCD. Long strung out guitar, and less hasty vocals, along with some excellent keyboard/synth solos (which you don't ever expect) make this a hit just like 'All My Friends' did before. We are transported back to the late 80's with the sound we hear on 'I Can Change'. A slow electro tune with deep drawn out vocals throughout. A nice beat keeps it going but without the big beat heard earlier on. 'You Wanted A Hit' seems to be a mix of everything LCD are about. Keys, big beat, guitar, bass and progressing towards moments of sheer mental noise throughout the track, where keys and samples go crazy for periods. The song incorporates all the sounds we are used to hearing throughout the album. 'Pow Pow' feels like 'Losing My Edge' has been taken off the first LP, shaken about and put onto this one. It's a decent tune but nothing of great impact on the album. The penultimate song on the album is 'Somebody's Calling Me'. For me the weakest song on the album and of little significance I feel apart from effectively being the opener for the best track on the album, 'Home'. For me the best has been left to the very end, if this is indeed the end, of all the LCD Soundsystem works. A fast keyboard intro, lots of cowbell and beats build this one up and up until the wonderful bass line comes in. Carried throughout with samples and Murphy's vocals at his best make this the perfect send off and probably my track of 2010 so far. Basically this song needs to be heard so I shall say no more. I still feel there is a touch of Talking Heads 'Naive Melody' in it, but not sure if anyone else believes me.

'This is Happening', for me, is a great great album. It feels like a compilation of what the group have done over the years and tidied it all up for one last listening pleasure. I don't think there are as many live 'anthems' as such like 'All My Friends' and 'Get Innocuous' but with songs like 'Home', 'One Touch' and 'All I Want' on this one I know I am happy enough. I think we will continue to hear lots of Murphy's work over the upcoming years as the man has made quite an impact on the scene and will continue to do so whilst steering his DFA records. For now it's good day, and a big thank you, to LCD for the great tunes they have provided our ears with!

1 comment:

  1. Man, I thought Pow Pow was the wort song on the album. I skip by it every time. I listen to the album every day, so that's a lot of skipping.

    ReplyDelete